This year clarinetists from all over the world will have the great opportunity to attend a very special course with Hermann Stefánsson, Martin Fröst, Yehuda Gilad, Olli Leppäniemi and Laura Ruiz Ferreres. Unfortunately the masterclasses this year will take place online because of the Covid-19 situation but we are sure it will be as inspiring as always!
ABOUT THE MASTERCLASSes
The masterclasses will take place during four weekends this academic year. Teachers at the courses are:
- Martin Fröst, clarinetist, conductor and Sony Classical recording artist, Martin Fröst is known for pushing musical boundaries and has been described by the New York Times as having ”a virtuosity and a musicianship unsurpassed by any clarinettist – perhaps any instrumentalist – in my memory”.
- Olli Leppäniemi won the first prize at the international Carl Nielsen-contest in 2009, and has after that been the soloist for BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Helsinki City Orchestra, Tapiola Sinfonietta, Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra, the orchestra of Norrlandsoperan, Odense Symphony Orchestra and the Tivoli Symphony Orchestra. He was awarded the Musician of the Year-prize in Denmark in 2011. Leppäniemi is principal clarinet at the Tapiola Sinfonietta and has had the same position at the Turku Philharmonic Orchestra, the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Bergen Philharmonics and Sinfonia Lahti. He often performs with the Philharmonia Orchestra and the Australian Chamber Orchestra.
- Hermann Stefánsson, Solo clarinetist at the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra and Professor at the Royal College of Music in Stockholm. Stefánsson is also a member of the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Wind Quintet and the Swedish Serenade Ensemble. He has been a soloist with many Swedish and non-Swedish orchestras, including the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra and the Iceland Symphony Orchestra.
- Yehuda Gilad, founder and professor of clarinet at the Colburn Conservatory and professor at USC. Mr. Gilad students occupy positions in over 100 orchestras world wide, prize winners of major international competitions and professors in leading schools worldwide. Gilad is a recipient of numerous honors and awards, including the Distinguished Teacher Award from the White House Commission on Presidential Scholars and USC’s highest honor for excellence in teaching.
- Laura Ruiz Ferreres is Professor of Clarinet at the Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst de Frankfurt am Main. She regularly collaborates, as soloclarinetist, with the Staatskapelle Dresden, Bayerisches Staatsorchester, Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Staatskapelle Berlin, Hamburger Philharmoniker, Orquestra de Cadaqués, Orquestra del Gran Teatre del Liceu, Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, Gürzenich Orchester Köln and Mahler Chamber Orchester.
The 4 masterclasses will take place online on the platform Zoom. We will send the link to every student who is accepted. Each student will get a 40 min. lesson with each teacher and will be able to follow all other masterclasses as well. Unfortunately the course this year is not open for spectators.
Martin and Hermann will teach together.
The minimum age for studies at folkhögskola is 18 year. The course is open for non EU citizens as well. We are looking forward to 4 great masterclasses that we are so proud to offer!
For questions you can contact Margreet Houtman at +31614874519 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
3/4 April – Yehuda Gilad
17/18 April – Martin Fröst and Hermann Stefánsson
1/2 May – Laura Ruiz Ferreres
15/16 May – Olli Leppäniemi
The course is free of charge but there is an application fee (500 SEK) for the students who are accepted.
Application deadline is March 15. You can apply to this masterclass by completing the form below and sending your link or audio file with a recent recording of your playing (piece is free of choice) to email@example.com
Welcome to a great time at Framnäs!
The application for Masterclass Clarinet is now closed.
We are grateful for your application!Read more about our music courses here