Master class Clarinet
This year clarinettists from all over the world will have the great opportunity to attend two special courses with Hermann Stefánsson, Martin Fröst, Yehuda Gilad, Philippe Berrod, Shirley Brill and Harri Mäki. The courses will take place at four different occasions at the Framnäs Folkhögskola, just outside the city of Piteå.
ABOUT THE MASTER CLASSes
The masterclasses will take place during four weekends this academic year. Teachers at the courses are:
- Martin Fröst, clarinetist, conductor and Sony Classical recording artist, Martin Fröst is known for pushing musical boundaries and has been described by the New York Times as having ”a virtuosity and a musicianship unsurpassed by any clarinettist – perhaps any instrumentalist – in my memory”
- Shirly Brill has appeared as a soloist with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, the Deutsches Symphonie Orchester, the Hamburger Symphoniker, the Chamber Orchestra of Geneva, Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra and the Symphony Orchestra of the National Theater of Prague. She is the winner of the Geneva International Competition in Switzerland (2007) and professor at the Hochschule für Musik Saar in Saarbrücken, Germany.
- Harri Mäki, Professor of Woodwinds at the Sibelius Academy and was the Solo Clarinet of Tapiola Sinfonietta from 1988–2018. Harri Mäki has appeared as a soloist and a chamber musician in European countries, in the Far East, and in North and South America. In 2012, he received the Pro Musica award for his merits as a performer and a teacher.
- Hermann Stefánsson, Solo clarinetist at the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra and Professor at the Royal College of Music in Stockholm. Stefánsson is also a member of the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Wind Quintet and the Swedish Serenade Ensemble. He has been a soloist with many Swedish and non-Swedish orchestras, including the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra and the Iceland Symphony Orchestra.
- Philippe Berrod, solo clarinetist in the Orchestre de Paris, and Professor of Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique in Paris. He performs as a soloist throughout the world in a repertoire ranging from the Clarinet Concerto of WA Mozart, to the ”Dialogue de l’ombre double” of Pierre Boulez for clarinet and electronic. In 2011 he was appointed professor of clarinet at the Conservatoire National Superieur de Musique in Paris and in the same year he was guest of honour at Victoires de la Musique.
- Yehuda Gilad, founder and professor of clarinet at the Colburn Conservatory and professor at USC. Mr. Gilad students occupy positions in over 100 orchestras world wide, prize winners of major international competitions and professors in leading schools worldwide. Gilad is a recipient of numerous honors and awards, including the Distinguished Teacher Award from the White House Commission on Presidential Scholars and USC’s highest honor for excellence in teaching,
Piano accompanist on the courses will be Mårten Landström, pianist in Norrbotten NEO. Mårten also teaches at the Royal College of Music in Stockholm and at the Music School of Piteå. He is also a member of Norrbotten Chamber Orchestra and the Piteå Chamber Opera.
The courses are part-time distance courses (50%) held between the 4th of December 2020 until the 10th of May 10 2021 including four onsite weekends at Framnäs Folkhögskola or the Royal College of Music. The minimum age for studies at folkhögskola is 18 year. The courses are available in Swedish and English. We are looking forward to 4 great masterclasses that we are so proud to offer. Hope to see you there!
Course 1: fall 2020 – winter 2021
NOTE changed date for the first masterclass
3 – 5 december
Location: Framnäs folkhögskola, Piteå
15 – 17 january
Location: Framnäs folkhögskola, Piteå
course 2: spring 2021
Two weekends together with Yehuda Gilad, Philippe Berrod and Hermann Stefansson.
Dates to be announced.
It is possible to apply to either course 1 or course 2, or both.
Tuition: 500 SEK
ALTERNATIVES FOR ACCOMMODATION & FOOD at framnäs
Food and accommodation per day: 950 SEK
Accomodation with bedding and breakfast included: 400 SEK
Accomodation with bedding included: 315 SEK.
You pay at the reception upon your arrival. We would like to receive card payment.
You can apply to this masterclass by completing the form below and sending your link or audio file with a recent recording of your playing to email@example.com.
Welcome with your application!
Apply to this masterclass today!
Application deadline October 10Apply now